Saturday, March 13, 2010

Marrying My Best Friend


So this version of our engagement story is going to include a bit more detail. You just have to know the Murphy's Monday I was having! It was CRAZY!!
So, the highlight reel for my Monday, had a big opps to fix at work that required some driving, just around the city of Lubbock. So, in an effort to be more expedient I decided to fill up my gas tank AND visit a Shamrock location all at once. So, I begin pumping my gas and run into the store to see how they are doing with Shamrock sales, and to get my red bull because this is going to be one LONG day. It was already a rough morning, at 11:30am, and the ladies inside were just so happy to see me and tell me how great sales were going; by the time I checked out with my RB and Shamrock I was so happy I had stopped in and ready to get a move on the rest of my day.
Then I walked outside.... and hear this noise, I actually looked at my hands to insure I had my keys becaues for a second I thought I left my car on. Nope. The gas pump didn't shut off ~ and the pump is SPINNING! I had pumped $30+ of gas onto the ground and it was quickly racing towards the street. It was the straw that broke Ashley's back, I yanked the nozzle out and just started sobbing. The manager came out with her kitty litter to stop the fuel from moving any farther, I was apologizing, she was apologizing, I was still crying *holding the nozzle in my hand* it was quite the scene! She thought she was going to have to call the fire department, OH JUST GREAT Station 14 would have been on the scene, fabulous ANOTHER sponsor could have seen my fantastic day! Alas, she was able to stop the fuel before it reached the point in the parking lot that was the deafcon 5 -ie calling out the FF. She refunded some of my wasted fuel money and I profusely apologized... it was my fault, I didn't obey the sign 'do not leave pump unattended' ~ which I rarely EVER DO! I got over the drama and just began to laugh! Really, what choice did I have?! I had a lot to get done, the fuel spill was taken care of, and the day must go on!
That afternoon I was driving down Frankford, which is under construction like most Lubbock streets, and a construction sign fell right infront of my car as I was driving - I stopped maybe a few feet away from it. Bumper to bumper traffic, I laughed, it was just MY day. So, as you can see a lot lead up to the day I told Jon, I will never forget and by the time it was over I will never forget this day because it was the best day EVER!
Now, if you have made it this far.... On to the GREAT stuff !!

After a rather eventful, Murphy's Law Monday, Jon and I were settling in for the evening to spend a little time together before he finished studying for midterms. I had just finished getting into my comfortable blue and green striped pajama pants and was ready to settle into the couch to relax; so I sat down on our bed. Jon was standing in the doorway of our bedroom, as I sat down he came to the side of the bed and kneeled down. I was totally clueless and asked if he would like to sit down on the bed. He said 'no, I'm stretching.' I actually believed him!

He put his hand on my knee and said, 'You know I love you,' I responded with I love you, too. The he said, 'Ashley, my family was right when they said a part of me was missing for years until I met you; I'm an impatient man, I promise I will love you more everyday.'

'Ashley Shannon McGee, will you marry me?'

I said YES! Yes! of course!!! He pulled the ring box out of his pocket....... and slid the most beautiful ring I have ever seen onto my finger!


*about ten minutes after he proposed!*


Now, we're getting married! We get to spend the rest of our life with eachother, our best friend!

2 comments:

MP said...

Awesome! I am so happy for the both of you!! Congrats again.

The Hargroves said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that story!! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that yall are getting married!!!!